In the era of such food crazes as the “cronut,” it seems that every city has its own classic fried-dough treat that is now being reimagined, and in Athens, loukoumades (think of them as the Greek predecessor of doughnut holes) seem to be getting a major overhaul as of late. Why revamp such a perfect childhood classic, you might ask? Continue »
Tag Results for 'sweets'
Editor’s note: Unsurprisingly, Mexico and Spain have a number of customs in common, especially during the winter holidays. This is the first installment of a two-part special on a sweet tradition that’s shared by the two countries, and the second will appear tomorrow.
Editor’s note: This is the latest installment in our monthly series of illustrated dispatches covering local spots in and around Georgia’s capital. Contributor Andrew North is an artist and journalist based in Tbilisi who spent many years before that reporting from the Middle East and Asia. Continue »
Erisvaldo Correia dos Santos dreamed of being a star. He saw himself as a humorist, a singer maybe, and most certainly an artist. But the scrabbling northeastern immigrant came in 2005 to Rio, the Brazilian city of dreams, with just 20 reais – about $9 – in his pocket and a family to feed. Continue »
By the name of the place, you’d expect the Sütçüler (“Milkmen” in English) district near Isparta in southern Turkey to be a dairyland paradise, thick on the ground with men carrying buckets sloshing fresh milk, cheese wheels stacked in cool dark sheds, verdant hills freckled with cows. But there are no milkmen in Sütçüler, at least not in the wintertime. Continue »
- We're on the ground in Lisbon! Pleased to present "Lisbon Awakens: A Culinary Crossroads Reborn", our first walk... https://t.co/lZUx0xMrI3
12 hours ago
- Creative takes on classic Georgian cooking
17 hours ago
- One would be hard-pressed not to gain a newfound appreciation for the walnut and harvest thereof after reading... https://t.co/mHFjsC49V9
- Stop by Korkmaz for some of Istanbul's best döner, but beware, it runs out quickly
- Our latest on where to drink in Tokyo: solid back-to-back options where the drinks and appetizers keep coming... https://t.co/u1KrPPC4bM
2 days ago
- Loukoumades: An Ancient Donut Hole's Revival
2 days ago