Shanghai’s farm country is closer than most residents imagine, especially when surrounded by the city’s seemingly endless forest of skyscrapers. But just beyond the spires is a huge, green oasis: Chongming. Somewhat smaller than Hawaii’s Kauai, this island at the mouth of the Yangtze River grows much of the municipality’s food supply. Continue »
Tag Results for 'Shanghainese'
One of the seven necessities of Chinese daily life, rice is eaten in many forms throughout the day, including – and especially – at breakfast. Congee is undoubtedly China’s best-known breakfast food, but less famous globally, and wildly popular locally, is the unassuming rice ball (饭团, fàn tuán).
As the moon starts to wane each January, people throughout China frantically snatch up train and bus tickets, eager to start the return journey to their hometown to celebrate the Lunar New Year (春节, chūnjié) with their family. Continue »
- Hit the road to try South Africa's boerekos, “farmers food" eaten where Afrikaans is spoken: http://t.co/JJnMKwVwdb http://t.co/UwPXuQ3i4Z
22 minutes ago
- Hit the road to taste South Africa's boerekos, “farmers food" eaten in Afrikaans communities http://t.co/JJnMKwVwdb http://t.co/mQda0EJhEv
24 minutes ago
- Angelis Nannos, friend of CB and former culinary walk leader, is now serving up fascinating culinary tours in... http://t.co/9sbVPgTgmO
32 minutes ago
- An Authentic Bosphorus Meyhane http://t.co/n1tcVEeewB
22 hours ago
- Free tickets to a Syrian feast in Istanbul (October 11)! Share this picture to enter to win: http://t.co/q2F4LopA4K
23 hours ago
- Nothing beats returning home and eating the foods you've been craving. Here is the first thing Chef Stavriani... http://t.co/GCjm0cSA4E
23 hours ago