Shanghai’s farm country is closer than most residents imagine, especially when surrounded by the city’s seemingly endless forest of skyscrapers. But just beyond the spires is a huge, green oasis: Chongming. Somewhat smaller than Hawaii’s Kauai, this island at the mouth of the Yangtze River grows much of the municipality’s food supply. Continue »
Tag Results for 'Shanghainese'
One of the seven necessities of Chinese daily life, rice is eaten in many forms throughout the day, including – and especially – at breakfast. Congee is undoubtedly China’s best-known breakfast food, but less famous globally, and wildly popular locally, is the unassuming rice ball (饭团, fàn tuán).
As the moon starts to wane each January, people throughout China frantically snatch up train and bus tickets, eager to start the return journey to their hometown to celebrate the Lunar New Year (春节, chūnjié) with their family. Continue »
- RT @CornucopiaMag: .@CBackstreets goes to NE Turkey w/ 'Lambassador' Özcan Yildirim (A+ pun) to learn why his cağ kebab reigns supreme: htt…
2 hours ago
- This boutique winery in the mountains of Lebanon offers French-style wine and cuisine: https://t.co/MnlkHpp8yf
2 hours ago
- Authentic #Guizhou cooking in Shanghai: https://t.co/vnZVuX3Sna https://t.co/VLsG5GK7zE
6 hours ago
- We had the great fortune of accompanying a true master of cağ kebabı to the source of his craft in eastern Turkey: https://t.co/oChUIAcphL
- RT @RobParsonsF24: The start of what looks to be a fascinating series by Andy North: #Tbilisi Sketches https://t.co/ejiU49ley4 via @cbackst…
- RT @paulrimple: Great #Tbilisi Sketches by @NorthAndrew Real bread. Yum Yum Yum https://t.co/bu46obyvDr