Food lovers mourned the loss of Shanghai’s Muslim market when it packed up its stalls a couple of years back, but the closure wasn’t too unexpected. Continue »
Tag Results for 'Jing'an'
One of the seven necessities of Chinese daily life, rice is eaten in many forms throughout the day, including – and especially – at breakfast. Congee is undoubtedly China’s best-known breakfast food, but less famous globally, and wildly popular locally, is the unassuming rice ball (饭团, fàn tuán).
Dear Culinary Backstreets,
I’ve heard that Traditional Chinese Medicine dictates that you should alter your diet according to the season to stay healthy. What are some of the foods that Chinese doctors recommend when the temperature drops? Continue »
Shanghai is famous for its swampy summer weather, and although this August was the coolest in 14 years, it’s still hot and humid out there as we head into Indian summer. Staying hydrated against the rising mercury is crucial if you’re out hunting a meal of street food, so here are the best sips to keep your yin and yang balanced this season. Continue »
- Baba Söğüş in Istanbul serves up an unusually wide range of Izmir-style offal preparations: https://t.co/2chA6uf2Qg https://t.co/DyyHHpeXNx
36 minutes ago
- RT @CornucopiaMag: .@CBackstreets goes to NE Turkey w/ 'Lambassador' Özcan Yildirim (A+ pun) to learn why his cağ kebab reigns supreme: htt…
22 hours ago
- This boutique winery in the mountains of Lebanon offers French-style wine and cuisine: https://t.co/MnlkHpp8yf
22 hours ago
- Authentic #Guizhou cooking in Shanghai: https://t.co/vnZVuX3Sna https://t.co/VLsG5GK7zE
- We had the great fortune of accompanying a true master of cağ kebabı to the source of his craft in eastern Turkey: https://t.co/oChUIAcphL
- RT @RobParsonsF24: The start of what looks to be a fascinating series by Andy North: #Tbilisi Sketches https://t.co/ejiU49ley4 via @cbackst…