Shanghai is a street food lovers’ paradise, with carts slinging dumplings, pancakes, noodles, buns and grilled meats on sidewalks across the city, morning, noon and night. These are a few of our favorites. Continue »
Tag Results for 'Huangpu'
Although coffee culture is booming in China, the Middle Kingdom is still the world’s biggest consumer and producer of tea leaves. The drink is so important that one Chinese proverb claims, “It is better to be deprived of food for three days, than of tea for one,” and tea is included on the list of the seven necessities of Chinese life (along with firewood, rice, oil, salt, soy sauce and vinegar). Continue »
Hairy crab season is once again sweeping Shanghai’s diners into a frenzy, with the bristly crustaceans popping up on street corners, in streetside wet markets and, most importantly, on dinner plates. This year we’ve even seen reports of elaborate live crab vending machines hitting the streets in Nanjing and an attempt to start a black-market trade in German crabs. Continue »
Editor’s note: This post is the first installment of “Best Bites of 2013,” a roundup of our top culinary experiences over the last year. Stay tuned for “Best Bites” from all of the cities Culinary Backstreets covers.
Deng Ji Chuan Cai
Culinary bucket lists are some of the best ways to discover our friends’ hidden gems: expat foodies are only willing to give up their proprietary favorites when they’re heading home. Continue »
In Shanghai, a pretty surefire way to tell whether a dining establishment deserves your attention or not is by the presence of a line in front of it. (A corollary might be that the amount of attention the place deserves is commensurate with the size of the line.) Lao Shaoxing Doujiang passes the test. Continue »
- To inaugurate our new series, Building Blocks, which explores the fundamental ingredients of the cuisines we... http://t.co/3El3CkTUiF
40 minutes ago
- The 2015 Wine Harvest in Greece http://t.co/Q7v7Bet4t2
22 hours ago
- Hit the road to try South Africa's boerekos, “farmers food" eaten where Afrikaans is spoken: http://t.co/JJnMKwVwdb http://t.co/UwPXuQ3i4Z
- Hit the road to taste South Africa's boerekos, “farmers food" eaten in Afrikaans communities http://t.co/JJnMKwVwdb http://t.co/mQda0EJhEv
- Angelis Nannos, friend of CB and former culinary walk leader, is now serving up fascinating culinary tours in... http://t.co/9sbVPgTgmO
- An Authentic Bosphorus Meyhane http://t.co/n1tcVEeewB