On a quiet street in Cuauhtémoc, just blocks away from some of Mexico City’s most recognizable landmarks, a slick, colorful sign and unusual name – Comichurros & Empanadas – call out loudly for attention. Inside, the place buzzes with youthful energy and social media and branding savvy: the walls are boldly decorated with floor-to-ceiling drawings of superheroes, onomatopoeic sound effects both old and new (“BAM! THWOK! CHURROS!”) and signs offering customers free churros in exchange for likes, check-ins and tweets. This is an eatery for the 21st century. Continue »
Tag Results for 'empanadas'
For weeks we had been passing by a small venue that filled the sidewalk with the heavenly scent of butter and pastry dough, before we finally had the chance to stop in and investigate. The source of the intoxicating aroma turned out to be Pastes Real de Pachuca, a neighborhood bakery in middle-class Colonia Tabacalera that makes excellent empanadas and pastes, a type of pastry that’s a specialty of Mexico’s Hidalgo state but hard to find in Mexico City. Continue »
The holiday season is one of the more subdued times of the year in Mexico City. Many people leave the city for vacation or to visit family and friends in other parts of the country. We, however, tend to stick around more often than not, traveling around the city and enjoying the relative peace. That’s how we happened upon Coox Hanal, a restaurant hidden inside a century-old building in the Centro Histórico that specializes in the cuisine of the Yucatán, the peninsula that juts out into the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea like a hitchhiker’s thumb. Continue »
The past year has been a very good one for food in Mexico City. We’ve had a wonderful time exploring new restaurants, tracking down exciting dishes and meeting great people along the way. There have been so many memorable moments over the past year that it was hard to sit down and come up with a list of the ones that really stood out the most. Through debate and discussion (and some revisits), we narrowed down the worthy field to our top favorites. Here are our Best Bites of 2012 from Mexico City. Continue »
- If you miss the two-hour lunch window at La Cuina del Guinardo, there's always takeaway...
about 1 hour ago
- We're on the ground in Lisbon! Pleased to present "Lisbon Awakens: A Culinary Crossroads Reborn", our first walk... https://t.co/lZUx0xMrI3
20 hours ago
- Creative takes on classic Georgian cooking
- One would be hard-pressed not to gain a newfound appreciation for the walnut and harvest thereof after reading... https://t.co/mHFjsC49V9
- Stop by Korkmaz for some of Istanbul's best döner, but beware, it runs out quickly
2 days ago
- Our latest on where to drink in Tokyo: solid back-to-back options where the drinks and appetizers keep coming... https://t.co/u1KrPPC4bM
2 days ago