Bāozi (包子), or steamed buns, are a basic, on-the-go meal. It’s rare to come across a shop selling these buns for more than 1.5 RMB (US$0.25), and yet, the past five years have seen a dramatic rise in the stature of this humble dish – thanks mostly to celebrity chef David Chang, whose Momofuku pork bun has become world-famous. Continue »
Tag Results for 'cheap eats'
The blackboard hanging outside Dexameni’s cramped kitchen reads, “Kindergarten-Bar-Nursing Home,” the title jokingly bestowed upon the café by the eminent novelist and poet Alexandros Papadiamantis. He was among the literati who made Dexameni their regular hangout shortly after it opened in the early 1900s – so regular that the place ended up serving as a home-away-from-home for all stages of life. Continue »
One of the seven necessities of Chinese daily life, rice is eaten in many forms throughout the day, including – and especially – at breakfast. Congee is undoubtedly China’s best-known breakfast food, but less famous globally, and wildly popular locally, is the unassuming rice ball (饭团, fàn tuán).
Hairy crab season is once again sweeping Shanghai’s diners into a frenzy, with the bristly crustaceans popping up on street corners, in streetside wet markets and, most importantly, on dinner plates. This year we’ve even seen reports of elaborate live crab vending machines hitting the streets in Nanjing and an attempt to start a black-market trade in German crabs. Continue »
Walk along just about any street in Shanghai these days, and you’ll see an ever-encroaching range of Western brands, standardized brand signage and food franchises. As in other rapidly developing countries, the battle for consumer dollars and brand loyalty has meant more chains and mass-produced food. Continue »
- If you miss the two-hour lunch window at La Cuina del Guinardo, there's always takeaway...
2 hours ago
- We're on the ground in Lisbon! Pleased to present "Lisbon Awakens: A Culinary Crossroads Reborn", our first walk... https://t.co/lZUx0xMrI3
21 hours ago
- Creative takes on classic Georgian cooking
- One would be hard-pressed not to gain a newfound appreciation for the walnut and harvest thereof after reading... https://t.co/mHFjsC49V9
- Stop by Korkmaz for some of Istanbul's best döner, but beware, it runs out quickly
2 days ago
- Our latest on where to drink in Tokyo: solid back-to-back options where the drinks and appetizers keep coming... https://t.co/u1KrPPC4bM
2 days ago