Tag Results for 'bakery'
Editor’s note: Unsurprisingly, Mexico and Spain have a number of customs in common, especially during the winter holidays. This is the first installment of a two-part special on a sweet tradition that’s shared by the two countries, and the second will appear tomorrow.
Editor’s note: This is the first installment in our new monthly series, Tbilisi Sketches, with illustrated dispatches covering local spots in Georgia’s capital. Contributor Andrew North is an artist and journalist based in Tbilisi who spent many years before that reporting from the Middle East and Asia.
It’s a common fantasy: Accidently locked in a bakery, forgotten overnight, we quickly eat everything in sight and fall into a sugary, carb-filled dream of sweet-spun bliss. Sequestered away where nobody will find us until morning, we wake from time to time and continue to eat cakes until we sleep again. Continue »
Every year, for one month only, bakeries across Istanbul churn out round, flat, yeasty loaves of Ramazan pide bread. Before Muslims break their fast at sundown, they hurry to buy these addictively chewy pides, which are essential to the iftar meal here. Continue »
In Spain, preserving the rituals of Lent – historically a period of 40 days of prayer, penance and pious abstinence from eating meat that leads up to Easter – was up until the second half of the 20th century mostly the responsibility of priests. Continue »
- Chinese New Year is fast approaching, and if you find yourself in Shangai, our latest dispatch will set you up... https://t.co/UnhTlrMHi9
22 hours ago
- We've got you covered on where to go in Athens for creative takes on Greece's beloved doughnut hole https://t.co/UJ5bAd3XhW
- Consistently good seafood from this Georgian-run Athens haunt
2 days ago
- The Sake Ambassador - Roads & Kingdoms https://t.co/OKTlnMI3yd
2 days ago
- Our latest from Tbilisi. At Citron Plus, it takes time for the meal to arrive, but with the high level of care... https://t.co/yduv9ocK7N
2 days ago
- Top Coffee Spots in Shanghai, Part 2: https://t.co/cmIhtq91ML https://t.co/lTvyDIl7h1
3 days ago